Cardiff City Stadium

Cardiff City Stadium
Home of the Bluebirds

Tuesday 22 January 2019

What on earth has happened?


Don't shout at me for writing this, if you don't care what I think don't read on....

It’s 12:16 on Tuesday 22.01.2019 and I’m sat in my office at Cardiff airport trying to focus on a monitor that’s becoming increasingly blurry.  Emiliano Sala, Cardiff City’s club record signing has gone missing in a light aircraft incident and no one knows where he is.

 

As I type this the French authorities have confirmed Sala was on board the aircraft thereby destroying all hope that he was still in France awaiting a flight to South Wales.  The coastguard are continuing to search for the player and pilot last seen on radar just north west of Guernsey before all contact was lost.

 

Social media has become a hot bed of rumour, confusion and outrage at those who would choose to make light of such a tragedy or just as poorly, use the incident to generate revenue from clicks.  I am just numb and to be fair, completely in shock.

 

You feel guilty for even thinking about the football right now, who cares if he’d have been a great striker when two people might have lost their lives?  As much as this is true you can’t completely forget the hopes and dreams you had built with him in mind.

 

The winning goal he was going to score one day, the first time he did the ayatollah at the Cardiff City Stadium.  Hearing the stadium announcer read his name and the crowd respond with a welcoming roar.

 

All of this of course pales into insignificance when you remember he and the pilot MAY have lost their lives in a harrowing crash in the cold and dark sea and their family members will be bereft awaiting the news.

 

I don’t know why I’ve written this, maybe it’s self indulgent therapy I don’t know.  One thing I do know is, I can’t believe this happened and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved.

 

Once a Bluebird, always a Bluebird.

No comments:

Post a Comment